Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Grant Specialist for the Central Flyway will work closely with various levels of administrative and programmatic staff to provide effective and efficient financial grant management and administration ensuring that the programs within this region are fulfilling all applicable compliance requirements.
This position will be responsible for the following within the assigned region.
• Work with program staff across multiple states to monitor grant progress and alignment with financial spend down.
• Provide grant status reports on a monthly basis to Project Managers/State Directors
• Utilize Audubon’s internal financial systems to monitor expenditures, revenue, match and other associated costs
• Assist staff in compiling and submitting grant reports to the funder; Review all financial reports prior to submission to grantor
• Monitor grant progress to help determine need for modifications
• Work closely with the national finance team on grant set up, implementation, and close out
• Review and shepherd new grant agreements and associated documentation through headquarters for processing
• Facilitate processing subcontracts and sub-awards, including required sub recipient monitoring and FFATA, as applicable.
• Ensure all grant compliance requirements are fulfilled and properly documented, including compliance with OMB 2 CFR 200, applicable state, local, or agency regulations and requirements, and the terms and conditions of specific grant contracts and agreements.
• Manage and maintain grant files in accordance with Audubon’s policy.
• Identify and communicate any compliance issues with national staff and work with local and regional staff and leadership to develop action plans to bring programs into compliance and follow-up to ensure issues are addressed as necessary.
• Act as point person for coordination and communication between the local, regional, and national staff and outside agencies for grant desk reviews or audits.
• Suggest and implement improvements to advance effective and efficient grant management and internal controls within the assigned region.
• Bachelor’s degree in public administration, finance, accounting, or related field.
• 2-4 years of experience in grant management and administration including budgeting, accounting, and reporting for grants.
• Experience demonstrating a working knowledge of the application of OMB Circulars applicable to non-profit organizations, state and local regulations, and of the meaning of standard contract clauses.
• Excellent interpersonal verbal and written communication skills that consistently demonstrate professionalism, positive/approachable attitude, discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
• Ability to demonstrate leadership and maintain flexibility, working both independently and collaboratively, coordinating team efforts as necessary.
• Ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, and communicate data and information.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills, ability to meet deadlines, and persistent attention to detail.