Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Audubon South Carolina (ASC) is the state arm of National Audubon Society (NAS) with a membership base of approximately 15,000 people, with 75% identifying as conservative and the other 25% as liberal. Based in Charleston, SC and reporting to the ASC Executive Director, the Policy Director, Advocacy and Outreach is responsible for winning policies and building the political power to advance National Audubon Society conservation priorities (Climate, Working Lands, Water, Coasts and Bird-Friendly Communities) in South Carolina. Policy priority projects at the state level currently include the reauthorization of the SC Conservation Bank and Solar Incentive bills, federally the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and locally, promoting Green Infrastructure.
As part of the ASC staff and working in close communication with the National Policy team, the Director will be responsible for executing statewide grassroots/grasstops campaigns and achieving specific Audubon policy goals. S/he will also work with an Audubon South Carolina team whose daily activities include nature education, engagement of volunteers for key outdoor projects, and mobilization of volunteers to advocate better public policy. The Director successfully engages the Audubon network which includes 6 chapters, 3 active bird clubs, and a variety of conservation partners, as well as supervises a digital, field/community engagement and communications team.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled, experienced manager and a strategic thinker, and ideally have a background in conservation, renewable energy, and/or climate related issues. Those with experience in politics or non-profits, who have worked as either a regional, deputy, or state wide field-director, are encouraged to apply. Candidates should also submit a cover letter when applying to this position.