Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Trinity River Audubon Center seeks a part-time education intern. The part-time education intern will be responsible for teaching school and public programs throughout the year, and working effectively as part of a dynamic team. This position will work specifically at Lakewood Elementary School in Dallas two weekdays a week during the school year term to assist in the Schoolyard Investigations Program. He/She will also work at the Trinity River Audubon Center to help prepare curriculum for the Schoolyard Investigations Program and teach on site Eco Investigations and other environmental education programs as needed. This position may work weekend, weekdays, and some nights as dictated by the programming schedule. This is a part-time opportunity with an estimated 20 hour work week that is expected to end in early June 2019.
During the course of the position, the education intern will have the opportunity to gain knowledge in the following areas:
• Education, engagement, and stewardship opportunities that intentionally guide participants to contribute to conservation outcomes of National Audubon Society’s strategic plan
• Help Audubon staff to develop environmental education curriculum including pre and post materials that correlate with academic curriculum standards.
• Engage Pre K-12th grade students in on-site and off-site environmental education programming.
• Help monitor effectiveness of environmental education programming.
• Assist in facilitating offsite educational programming.
• Maintain accurate records of program participation.
• Assist with special events at the Center.
• Assist with other office duties as needed.
This position is expected to begin on October 15, 2018 and end in June 2019. No housing is provided.
Applicants must apply online.
• Excellent interpersonal/communication skills required
• Proficient writing and speaking skills in English (Spanish proficiency a plus)
• A self- starter, one with a positive and enthusiastic approach to all tasks
• Demonstrate genuine interest in the Audubon mission of connecting people and communities to nature and the outdoors
• Excellent organization skills
• Demonstrates environmental stewardship actions
• Willingness to work cooperatively as part of a staff team
• Collaborates well with coworkers, students (children of all ages), and the public including teachers, parents, and volunteers
• Experience instructing outdoor education programming preferred
• Knowledge of how to use a computer, MS Office applications (Word, Excel), and social media platforms
• Able to drive a car, have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
• Be able to carry at least 30 pounds and enjoy outdoor work
• First Aid and CPR certification is preferred
• Must be a creative, knowledgeable, and hardworking person dedicated to education and the environment.
• Position may involve moderate hiking, wading in water, handling live animals, equipment maintenance, digging, planting, transporting equipment, and the ability to lift 50 pounds.