Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Senior Project Delivery Lead (PDL) supports Audubon’s business leaders by helping to ensure the successful completion of major initiatives. The Senior Project Delivery Lead is a key member of the Initiative Delivery Team within the Office of the COO. The Project Delivery Lead may support multiple initiatives for multiple business “clients” within Audubon. This Senior Project Delivery Lead position will primarily support initiatives in the Conservation area.
The Senior Project Delivery Lead is a fully engaged, objective team member who works closely with all project team members and stakeholders. The Senior PDL may also assist in coordinating external vendors/parties as needed to accomplish the project’s objectives. This position will be based in Washington D.C./will also require some travel.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Applies project management methodologies and best practices in a practical manner appropriate for the project and team to ensure progress can be made
• Supports and enables the Business Initiative Lead and workstream leads to plan end-to-end and think proactively to minimize risks and issues
• Monitors and tracks summary task and milestone progress, risk mitigation efforts, and issues resolution
• Assists in resource and budget analysis and tracking, reporting status, and escalating issues as needed for decision-making and resolution by the Business Initiative Lead
• Provides thought partnership and mentoring to the leads, if needed
• Demonstrated ability to succeed in rapidly growing and/or changing organizations, i.e. an “intellectual athlete”
• Excellent verbal and written communicator across all levels of the organization
• Strong ability to manage at the summary task level and deep dive into details and issues as needed
• Strong ability to apply project management best practices and tools such as RACI, PLC, RAID, etc.
• Proficient user of MS Office, Visio, project planning tools such as MS Project, Smartsheet, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 8-10 years relevant experience
• Proven track record to deliver cross-departmental, complex projects in an environment with frequently changing priorities and ambiguity
• Positive attitude with a sense of humor
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Excellent planning skills including task dependencies and understanding resource and budget impacts
• Exceptional time management and organizational skills
• Skills in facilitation and team problem-solving
• Strong ability to make a positive impact while working on multiple initiatives with shifting priorities
• Strong business analysis, problem-solving, critical thinking skills
• Ability to “wear multiple hats” and work independently
• Interest and aptitude in learning new content rapidly
• PMP or similar certification
• Professional experience in environmental, conservation, non-profit, or consulting industries
• Expertise in business functions such as IT, finance, marketing, operations, etc.
• Project portfolio management
• Ability to connect strategic concepts to tactical plans