Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Senior Project Manager (PM) supports Audubon executives by helping to ensure the success of major initiatives and projects by employing project and change management discipline and best practices. The Senior Project Manager (PM) is part of the Audubon wide PMO team-which is part of the Office of the COO.
The client of the Senior Project Manager is the Initiative lead and/or the Departmental Executives who are ultimately accountable for initiative success. It is the job of the Senior Project Manager (PM) (in partnership with the accountable executive) to ensure that effective plans are in place, issues and risks are managed and that information flows to the appropriate stakeholders consistent with the overall Audubon project management best practices.
The role of the Senior Project Manager (PM) is to plan and ensure successful execution of key initiatives and projects with a focus on helping project initiative or strategy leads delivers them on time, on budget and on quality throughout the project’s lifecycle. This includes shaping, coordinating, and managing plans for resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors, vendors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to expected outcomes as defined by the project, initiative or strategy leads. The Senior Project Manager (PM) will also collaborate with project leads to provide effective team and stakeholder management through appropriate problem solving to ensure that the project overcomes any barriers to its ability to execute according to plan.
The Project Management performs the following key responsibilities in partnership with and support of their respective project or initiative leads:
• Effectively communicate with senior business leaders and stakeholders
• Effectively communicate external organizational priorities
• Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear manner
• Track and communicate project milestones and deliverables
• Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis
• Determine the frequency and content of status reports, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas.
• Develop and communicate progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations to project leads and the PMO as appropriate
Project Design & Planning
• Help interpret strategies and conceptual initiatives to inform project design with tangible work elements
• Ensure clear definition of project objectives, goals, success criteria in support of the project, and in collaboration with senior management stakeholders
• Facilitate project design as appropriate to inform the project work plan
• Define interdependencies and manage interactions accordingly
• Develop appropriate detailed project plans, schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools
• Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path project considerations
• Set up the project team structure with clear roles and responsibilities – project team, steering committee, Subject Matter Expert (SME team)
• Manage and conduct project kick-offs
• Conduct knowledge transfer from project design teams to the project team as appropriate
• Assist project leads in developing a stakeholder management plan and in ensuring stakeholders are engaged appropriately to enable project success
• Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other identified stakeholders
• Apply generally acceptable and PMO approved methods and practices to assist their project leads with disciplined project delivery
• Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management
• With the project or initiative lead, develop resource plans for designated projects and estimate the resources needed to achieve project goals
• Ensure a shared understanding of resources needed, arrange for or coordinate required project resources
• Determine and assess need for additional project resources. Draft and track project budget, recommend subsequent budget changes, initiative and strategy lead
• Bachelor’s degree and 6-8 years’ project management experience focused on execution communications and implementation of strategic plans
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred, but not required
• Direct hands-on experience project management
• Strong working knowledge of project management methodologies, processes and tools
• Working knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project, SmartSheet, etc.
• Proven track record of supporting successful projects and related best practices
• Broad understanding of project lifecycle management
• Effective team manager with strong interpersonal skills
• Skilled in facilitation and team problem-solving
• Ability to handle team tension and manage conflict
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Background in the environmental/conservation industry a consideration but not required
• Experience working in a consulting environment