The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas using science, advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation. Audubon’s state, regional, national, and international programs, nature centers, and chapters have an unparalleled wingspan that reaches millions of people each year to inform, inspire, and unite diverse communities in conservation action. As a sentinel species, we recognize that the fate of birds is inextricably tied to the fate of us all.
Audubon Rockies, the regional office of The National Audubon Society, is looking for 2 part time educators to serve the Four Mile Ranch in Pagosa Springs and southwestern Colorado. We are committed to providing the local schools with educational programs, special events, and to promote the solid conservation efforts of The National Audubon Society through hands on science education programs.
Responsibilities include the following: Develop, implement, and evaluate Audubon’s environmental education program for students, families, and adults at the Four Mile Ranch and throughout southwest Colorado, including the communities of Pagosa Springs, Gunnison, Durango and others. Coordinated teacher requests for field and classroom programs. Advertise, schedule and help present teacher workshops for local teachers and naturalists focusing on birds and conservation. Assist in the development and implementation of a strong volunteer recruitment and training program.
• Regularly teach Audubon curriculum as a classroom exercise and as a field experience
• Maintain a relationship with local Audubon chapters by attending meetings, attending occasional field trips, and helping with volunteer recruitment
• Coordinate volunteers.
• Work with education manager and conservation staff to identify needs. May include writing and editing grant proposals.
• Recruit volunteers and assist with interviews, placement and orientation of volunteers.
• Maintain and improve volunteer database.
• Create program materials and attend outreach events to promote Audubon’s education programs.
• Bachelor’s degree and 2 years related experience or equivalent combination.
• 2 years formal or informal teaching experience, primarily with youth
• Experience in organizing and managing a volunteer program
• Experience in MS Office, Word, Excel and navigating the Internet.
• Experience in written and verbal communication with staff, public, and partners.
• Experience delivering presentations and communicating information to a diverse audience.
• Experience working with k-12 students and families.
• Minimum 1 year experience in organizing and managing a volunteer program demonstrating knowledge of the structure and needs required.
• Demonstrated experience in MS Office, Word and Excel. May require database management skills with ability to produce reports. Ability to use advanced computer functions including navigating the Internet.
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to organize time and manage diverse activities. Meet deadlines.
• Supervisory experience.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to obtain required licenses and certifications including CPR/First Aid and driver’s license.
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The National Audubon Society endeavors to keep our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Accommodations@audubon.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.