The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas using science, advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation. Audubon’s state, regional, national, and international programs, nature centers, and chapters have an unparalleled wingspan that reaches millions of people each year to inform, inspire, and unite diverse communities in conservation action. As a sentinel species, we recognize that the fate of birds is inextricably tied to the fate of us all.
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Senior Accountant will be part of a dynamic Finance group. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent accounting knowledge and financial systems skills and have a track record of active participation in process improvement initiatives. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for general accounting with a focus on restricted funds, charitable gift annuities and revenue, and act as a Finance department resource for business managers and field staff across Audubon. In addition, they will be responsible for project reporting, financial systems implementation, and assist with the month-end close and annual financial audit. This is a highly visible position. We are seeking someone who is energetic, team oriented, and open to new ideas and concepts.
• Responsible for the accounting for temporarily restricted funds, working closely with field and finance staff to ensure proper classification of contributions and timely release of funds from restriction, and provide fund reporting and analysis.
• Highly involved in month-end duties including the review, upload, and posting of journal entries prepared by field and finance staff across the organization. Ensure that the coding of entries is accurate and that sufficient documentation is provided.
• Prepare and upload standard and recurring journal entries for National Audubon Society, National Audubon Society Action Fund and Audubon Americas program, perform analysis of general ledger accounts and prepare adjusting journal entries as necessary.
• Prepare and review selected bank account reconciliations and other account reconciliations, including the Action Fund’s operating account and international bank accounts. Work with the accounting team to investigate reconciling items. Prepare and upload monthly JEs recording bank activity in a timely fashion.
• Create custom and standard reports to communicate results to various field locations in a clear, consistent, and concise fashion.
• Prepare and update monthly reporting schedules for the National programs.
• Provide training and guidance to field staff on accounting policies, processes, and procedures.
• Gather sales tax information for monthly and quarterly sales tax returns.
• Responsible for the accounting of Audubon’s $60M portfolio of charitable gift annuities and beneficial interest in charitable and remainder trusts.
• Assist with year-end duties including but not limited to: year-end closing process; audit preparation; financial statement preparation; annual fiscal audit; and Form 990 preparation.
• Assist in the compilation of financial statements, prepare schedules, respond to auditor inquiries, and comply with auditor requests for testing support.
• Prepare assigned reconciliation schedules for the annual NICRA application.
• Assist and collaborate with the Technology and Finance team to work on various financial system implementation and upgrades.
• Suggest and implement improvements in processes. Draft and update documentation of processes and procedures for areas of responsibility, where necessary.
• Work closely with the broader Finance Team and act as a resource to National and field staff.
• Contribute to long-term projects as part of a team, as needed. Work on ad-hoc assignments as directed by the Controller, Assistant Controller, or Accounting Manager.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting required, as well as 5+ years of progressive accounting experience. Experience working in non-profit organizations required.
• CPA or equivalent experience is desirable.
• Supervisory experience is desirable.
• Demonstrated expertise with financial reporting and analysis; must also be detail-oriented and possess strong analytical skills.
• Strong knowledge of GAAP and other accounting regulations and policies.
• High degree of proficiency in the use of financial software applications, with knowledge of Financial Edge or NXT is desirable. Knowledge of Salesforce is highly desirable.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including advanced Excel skills, also required.
• Proficiency in using project management tools.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; must be able to interpret financial analyses to non-finance professionals and provide thoughtful and creative problem-solving techniques.
• A self-starter, one with the ability to work independently and consistently meet deadlines.
• Strong organizational and time management skills a must.
• Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and integrity a must.
This position is represented by the Communications Workers of America (CWA).
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The National Audubon Society endeavors to keep our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Accommodations@audubon.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.