The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas using science, advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation. Audubon’s state, regional, national, and international programs, nature centers, and chapters have an unparalleled wingspan that reaches millions of people each year to inform, inspire, and unite diverse communities in conservation action. As a sentinel species, we recognize that the fate of birds is inextricably tied to the fate of us all.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Manager will provide high-level programmatic and operational support for Audubon California (ACA), a regional office of National Audubon Society. Specifically, they will be responsible for efficient and smooth management of the ACA office in Oakland, provide remote support for the Sacramento office, and support the seamless integration of remote and nature center staff into ACA and National Audubon Society’s (NAS) operations.
The Operations Manager will develop and implement efficient office and organizational management that supports team success. They will provide guidance and support to the team on issues of financial management and reporting, fundraising, and contracting. They will provide logistical support and management for the state advisory board and committees.
• Oversee and enhance administrative systems that allow for efficient and smooth functioning operations throughout the California program ensuring compliance with NAS policies and procedures.
• Manage all office contracts in compliance with Audubon policy. Serve as primary contact for vendors and independent contractors; help finalize agreements in accordance with NAS policies.
• Obtain revenue and pay invoices by verifying and completing payable and receivable transactions; establish and maintain effective and accurate financial controls and accounting systems, and ensure compliance with NAS financial policies and procedures.
o Work closely with ACA program staff to ensure that bills are paid on a timely basis and that invoices are coded correctly. Ensure receipts for purchasing card activity are organized, received and approved for all items.
• Work closely with national finance staff to manage office budget and support monthly close requirements.
• Support occasional events and program activities with facility logistics, food arrangements, invitations, name tags, signage, and follow-up activities.
• Support Executive Director and staff with board activities. Coordinate logistics for ACA board and committee meetings. Communicate meeting details, assemble and edit meeting agendas and packets. Maintain board meeting minutes.
• Manage gift receipt and processing functions to ensure excellent service to ACA’s donors. Assist Executive Director with donor communications and event planning. Serve as a primary contact for donors.
• Support Executive Director with development activities including facilitating major gift solicitations with materials, reminders and list maintenance; ensure timely donor acknowledgement, stewardship, and public recognition in partnership with development team.
• Work with HR and IT departments to ensure onboarding and transitions, equipment replacement, and staff training is accomplished effectively. Manage monthly all-staff meetings, and provide support for staff events.
• In collaboration with Executive Assistant, provide administrative support to Executive Director including but not limited to scheduling, travel, expenses, correspondence, etc.
• Special operations projects (not to exceed 10% of job) as defined with the Executive Director annually
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in operations, logistics, program management, or similar setting
• Exceptional organizational ability, attention to detail and a can-do attitude are essential
• Proven ability to track and move tasks/projects to completion in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision, as well as part of a small team
• Excellent customer service and communication skills
• Critical thinking skills and a problem-solving attitude
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word and Excel; experience with donor management systems and specifically Salesforce a plus
• Ability to exercise discretion and maintain strict confidentiality
• Experience working with donors and development processes a plus
• Bookkeeping and contract preparation experience a plus
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The National Audubon Society endeavors to keep our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Accommodations@audubon.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.